The “Académie françoise” (old French for française) is founded under the patronage of the powerful clergyman and statesman Cardinal Richelieu, the chief minister to King Louis XIII.
Under the auspices of the French monarch, the Académie establishes its headquarters at the Louvre Palace.
The Académie française publishes the first edition of the Dictionnaire it was entrusted to create. It contains 18,000 words.
Amid the turmoil of the French Revolution, and eight months after Louis XVI is executed, “the Immortals” hold their last meeting. Their director hides the body’s founding documents and archives in his home.
France’s new leaders re-establish the Académie française as part of the larger Institut de France, which will include four other Academies. The Institut moves into the building of the Collège des Quatre Nations, on the Left Bank in central Paris.
Victor Hugo is elected a member of the Académie.
Marshal Pétain (elected in 1929) is sacked from the Académie, along with three other members who collaborated with the Nazi regime in occupied France during WWII. His post is left vacant until his death in 1951.
An induction ceremony at the Académie française (for scholar and politician Alain Peyrefitte) is broadcast on French television for the first time.
The Académie française elects its first woman member (novelist Marguerite Yourcenar).
The Académie française launches its website.